Indigenous Plant Nursery
NURSERY CLOSURE UPDATE 29/06/2020
The Friends of the Helmeted Honeyeater retail nursery has been closed since the 23rd of March 2020 and will remain closed for the foreseeable future. The State Government has a state of disaster in place, so reopening will not be considered until after the state of disaster declaration is withdrawn.
Our nursery volunteer program is also closed and the Friends nursery is currently operating with two part-time staff who are steadily working through all of the pre-ordered plant orders and any more recent plant orders.
The nursery is still taking email and phone orders but hope everyone will be understanding of the situation and that orders may take longer to complete.
If one of the staff members should come in to contact with anyone with the virus or someone who has come into contact with someone with the virus it will cause the immediate shutdown of the nursery. There is also a chance that the State Government may also impose further travel restrictions due to the current increases in positive COVID-19 cases.
Our Committee of Management is taking a very cautious approach to the situation and is taking the welfare of their staff and Volunteers very seriously.
Friends of the Helmeted Honeyeater
If you would still like to order stock we would love to help you . You can download our Order form, fill it out and email to us at: email@example.com
or call Michelle on 0438 038 702.
Drop in and visit the Friends of the Helmeted Honeyeater Indigenous Plant Nursery where a wide range of local indigenous plants may be purchased at very affordable prices.
The Friends nursery has over 150 species of trees, shrubs, grasses, herbs, lilies, sedges, groundcovers, climbers and aquatic/semi-aquatic plants available for sale throughout the year.
We grow plants which are specific to the Woori Yallock Creek sub-catchment around Yellingbo, Macclesfield, Seville, Emerald and surrounds. Since its inception in 1991, the Friends nursery has supplied over 700,000 plants for local revegetation activities. Volunteers are the life-blood of the nursery. New volunteers are always welcome. No experience necessary.
Although we hold many plants in stock, some plant species can take 12 months to reach planting size. Most will take a minimum of 6 months. Prior orders are encouraged to avoid missing out on the species you’d like for your planting project.
Download our Order form.
Note: All orders must be collected from the nursery.
Nursery opening times 9:00am – 3:00pm Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. 9:00am – 12:00pm 1st Saturday of the month (April-December).
We are not open on public holidays.
We will not open on days of Total Fire Ban or Severe Weather warnings for the Central District.
For information about Total Fire Bans please check the the CFA web site
For information about Severe Weather Warning please check the Bureau of Meteorology web site
Please check with us on other days of high fire danger.
The nursery is located at 1217 Macclesfield Road, Yellingbo (Melway reference 305 G11).
You can call us on 0438 038 702.
Prices (subject to annual review)
1 Jan – 31 Dec
- $1.80 tubestock
- From $6 for 140mm pots (selected plants only)
Some species sell out quickly. We cannot guarantee that all species will always be in stock. Please check for availability of individual species before ordering or simply ask us to substitute with similar plants if the requested species are unavailable. The links below take you to further information about each species eg. description, flowering times, planting conditions, habitat & photos. If in doubt, just drop in to the nursery for some friendly advice. A simple plan of your planting site will help us with your selections.
Below are some examples of the species we provide. You will find all of the species we grow listed on our Order form.
- Acacia melanoxylon – Blackwood
- Eucalyptus baxteri – Brown Stringybark
- Eucalyptus camphora – Mountain Swamp Gum
- Eucalyptus cephalocarpa – Silver-leaf or Mealy Stringybark
- Eucalyptus cypellocarpa – Mountain Grey Gum
- Eucalyptus dives – Broad-leaf Peppermint
- Eucalyptus fulgens – Green Scentbark
- Eucalyptus macrorhyncha – Red Stringybark
- Eucalyptus obliqua – Messmate
- Eucalyptus ovata – Swamp Gum
- Eucalyptus radiata – Narrow-leaf Peppermint
- Eucalyptus rubida – Candlebark
- Eucalyptus viminalis – Manna or Ribbon Gum
- Acacia dealbata – Silver Wattle
- Acacia mearnsii – Black Wattle
- Allocasuarina littoralis – Black Sheoak
- Hedycarya angustifolia – Austral or Native Mulberry
- Leptospermum grandifolium – Mountain Tea-tree
- Lomatia fraseri – Tree or Forest Lomatia
- Lomatia myricoides – River or Long-leaf Lomatia
- Melaleuca ericifolia – Swamp Paperbark
- Olearia argophylla – Musk Daisy-bush
- Pomaderris aspera – Hazel Pomaderris
- Prostanthera lasianthos – Victorian Christmas Bush
- Rapanea howittiana – Muttonwood
- Acacia myrtifolia – Myrtle Wattle
- Acacia stricta – Hop Wattle
- Acacia strictophylla – Dandenong Ranges Cinnamon Wattle
- Acacia verticillata – Prickly Moses
- Banksia spinulosa – Hairpin Banksia
- Acacia brownii – Heath Wattle
- Allocasuarina paludosa – Scrub Sheoak
- Bauera rubioides – Wiry Bauera, River or Dog Rose
- Brachyscome multifida – Cut-leaf Daisy
- Chrysocephalum semipapposum – Clustered Everlasting
- Arthropodium milleflorum – Pale Vanilla-lily
- Arthropodium strictum – Chocolate Lily
- Ausrostipa rudis ssp. Rudis – Veined Spear-grass
- Austrofestuca hookeriana – Hooker Fescue
- Austrostipa rudis – Veined Spear-grass
We also provide:
- Aquatic / semi-aquatic